Monday, February 20, 2012

Really?!

I was looking at some picture from the early days of the kitchen at the Casablanca, and I noticed that the set up/ display I have around the kitchen shelves is nearly the same as it was six years ago. At one time I tried to keep things the same to be "Iconic" but after six years of having things in the same spot, it was a little stale, and sometimes changing things up is necessary.
 (Mom's "San Francisco House - cookie jar")
Mostly things have been moving around in the kitchen. As I was telling Patricia, the kitchen has come a LONG way in the last two years.  I brought the cookie jar home, because as i mentioned in an earlier post we always forget we have cookies in it. So the "penguin warmer" took its place.
Well all was well until I got frustrated at the lack of counter space by the stove. (As I have it piled with two boxes of tiles and a ton of other junk) The main problem being my Grandmothers 1946 Hamilton Beach mixer, the annoying fact it was an inch to tall to fit under the bottom counter.... So I moved things again.
 What Luck! The shelf is just the exact width and height to store the mixer. So it now has a new home, and speaking of new, I found this great (St Charles I think) glass cabinet that I have no room for, but at $10 who cares! I wanted to put it over the stove, but it wouldn't work.
But in order to be able to use the shelf seriously cuts down on the stove top room...
I love the glass doors on the cabinet, I just wish I'd found two of them!
Oh well, maybe I'll find a place for it in time!

I'll have to share with you all of the weekend Estate sale finds on Wednesday!

Happy Monday everyone!

4 comments:

Amber Von Felts said...

I love that you are using your family's vintage stuff. That makes it all the more special. That cabinet would make a great medicine cabinet if you had a bathroom out there! Maybe when you get your addition :-) .

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

I love the new shelf arrangement with your Penguin and your grandmother's mixer!

If you centered the glass shelf over the stove (maybe about door frame height or a tad higher), could you hang the copper molds vertically on one side and the enamelware on the other...and still have room for the display on the back of the stove? That would be such a cool place for spices.

Ava said...

That cabinet is divine... I cannot walk past a smallish cabinet without the urge to buy...it's my own little obsession. Good luck finding a place for it xx

Zootsuitmama said...

That cabinet is the bees knees! That kind of glass just screams vintage in a way that reminds one of the doors in private eye offices in the 1930's!