Friday, December 30, 2011

Swank-tasatic!

Well readers, while most of the "kids" nowadays have "Swagger" I (as well as everyone else at the Casablanca) believe in the power of Swank.

Swank-  1) Very classy, and/or tasteful.  2) The coolest of cool. smoother than smooth
 Needless to say this Bar I found on Craigslist, was and is Swank.
Found on Craigslist in Prairie Village Kansas for $125, I got it for $100 and met up with the seller Thursday in Kansas City. At first from her three pictures in the ad I thought it was a homemade bar, but when we met up I discovered that it had a makers mark and wooden wheels!
 (Regency Bar Products. New York)
What I love about the fact the maker is "Regency" and it came from New York is that in the last show I worked on White Christmas one of the sets I worked on was "The Regency Room, of the Imperial Hotel in New York" that was a Ballroom and Bar, how coincidental and cool!
Initially  when the seller said "Oh its old"  I thought Yeah provably from the late 1960's or 70's. But much to my surprise and delight this thing is OLD!  Its all solid wood construction, measuring 39 inches high, 37 inches wide, and 18.5 inches deep. its has shelves and doors in it, and its covered in this beautiful red vinyl and detailed on the front with gold tacks. I think it was a STEAL! and It will so be placed in the Lounge of the Casablanca to house all of our new bar-ware.
Now readers, I can't even begin to tell you the slew of questions and opinions my mother gave me over this piece. "Well How much is it? Is that the best you could do? How are we gonna get it home? What do you need a bar for? Couldn't you just make one? I bet it will be tacky as all get out. I cannot believe your gonna pay $100 for THAT...." trust me, if it could be said, it was said.  When We finally meet up with the seller, (my family was in Cabela's Outdoor store shopping)  She put its together, we realize as an added bonus that was not in the Craigslist pictures that the Bar has sliding doors on it! I gladly give her the money and Patricia and I load it into the car. When my family comes back out we are bombarded with smart ass comments about "Oh that just LOOKS tacky, He turns 21 and now he NEEDS a bar, its ugly, I CANNOT believe you made that lady drive here to sell you THAT..." on, and on, and on until we get home.
It's not until we get home, and I have five seconds to myself to put the finished product together. Of course then everyone in the family has to clamber out onto my Aunts front porch to see it, and for the FIRST time Pat and I are met with a reception of...

"Oh how Classy, what a GREAT color, THAT IS NICE! Wow what a bargain you got on that. It will be PERFECT in your lounge. I love the tacks and the piping detail!"

*Sigh* Wouldn't it just be easier it they just trusted me? Haha

 Bottom line- I found it, I scored it, and I think I have the perfect place and set of glasses to go with it!

-Mick-

7 comments:

MomWaldsPlace said...

Families ya gotta love'm...or not.

I must admit, I had no idea a bar could be so cool. This one is perfect for you with its compact size and wheels it is a party to go. And its RED!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Great score! I love the red and the size is perfect! Parents...hey we all have them!

Zootsuitmama said...

That is awesome Mick! Once again we are like two ships in the night. You're in KCMO and we don't meet up!~

JessicaLea Texas Kitsch said...

I love it! You did get a great find for a great price! Can't wait to see pics of it set up at the Casablanca

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

What a cool, cool find! It's the swankiest! You're going to have so much fun with that bar. Now the quest for the perfect barstools is ON!

Uncle Atom said...

Glad you found one you like - and I like it too, really stylin' with the red and the wheels!

Amber Von Felts said...

Hahaha! You showed them! Really, we should all trust you Mick, you have impeccable style. I cannot wait to see it at the Casablanca full of barware and swizzle sticks. Good on ya!