Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Bitter Sweet.

It is funny, Dear Readers, how some things go on in life after death.
As I mentioned in the last post, Patricia's favorite decorating holiday is Halloween, usually I am a "Decorating Nazi" when it comes to parties at the Casablanca. But this year I gladly bequeathed the task to her, mainly because I was not ready.
Plain and simple, Grief is just a bitch.
(My beloved "Miss Daisy".)
Decorating was always a big deal with me and my Grandma, especially in the decade after my Grandfather passed. Grandma Jordan pulled out ALL the stops! I can recall many a trip to the store to buy this or that for decorating, and not one's high end Hobby Lobby seasonal decorations. No, Grandma always had a way of making dime store decorations look fabulous. It was just her touch! (I would like to think I inherited that gift from her!)
When the family split up my Grandmother estate, I ended up keeping several boxes of decorations that would have just gone to the dump. Not worth anything at all, except for sentimental value to me.
(Not everything seen was Grandma's, a lot of it was mine. We had similar taste!)
I dread Christmas. Christmas was our FAVORITE time of year to decorate for, and Grandma kept so much of the stuff she made back in the 1950's and 60's it really will look like 1960 this year!
(Sarah Jane, aka "Baby Jane Hudson.")
The doll above my Grandma received as a Christmas gift way back in 30's. She kept it stored in a closet at her house and it used to scare the EVER LOVING HELL OUT OF ME! Haha! For now she is a glorified Halloween decoration until the day I can get her repaired. SO THAT'S "What happened to Baby Jane"!
I really didn't set out to make this a sad post... That is why I have chosen to title it "Bitter Sweet" as these are all things she and I loved together, and now its strange to be decorating without her. It feels like she is here though, some habits never die. (Like that big orange ceramic pumpkin on the coffee table in the first picture. It's been placed in that spot every Autumn as long as I can remember.) 
The Casablanca look so wonderful this season, with my stuff, her stuff, and Patricia's stuff, I know Grandma would be proud!

Here's to Halloween!

-Mick-

4 comments:

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

I'm sure she's looking down on you and enjoying every bit of it. You're very fortunate to have had such a wonderful woman in your life, and I love that you're honoring her memory by keeping the things that were so important to the two of you.

Jim said...

She sure would be proud, Mick!
You and your grandmother's bond will never go away and you will find it a little easier year by year with her absence.
She is a part of you and you have lots of memories to get you through this time.Take care, Mick.

ThrifterSisters said...

When I was growing up, I would help both of my grandparents decorate for Christmas. I have the fondest memories of my dad picking me up from school then going out to the farm and spending the weekend with them putting up the tree my grandpa had cut from his tree farm and putting the bubble lights and Shiny Brites on it. When my grandparents passed away, all I asked for was some of the Christmas decorations. Out of 60+ years of household items, that was all I wanted. My grandparents have been gone for several years now but it every Christmas is still bittersweet. Isn't it lovely that we have this in common?

~Erica

Vonlipi said...

I wish I had decorated with my grand-parents for Xmas....I decorated with my Dad and I hope I get to decorate with him for many more years! When he passes I will always remember he didn't like the blowmolds....Your Granmother's joy and spirit lives in you, the Casablanca and the decorations.