Monday, December 14, 2009

"All I Want for Christmas"

Well... Iv got my two front teeth... so here's a few thinks iv been searching for...

Since My freshman year in high school I have been on the HUNT for a Sunburst Clock!


The Sad part is I had one! My Great Grandmother passed away in 1999, they ended up having an estate sale, but "us kids" were aloud to go through and pick out a few sentimental things to keep. Well My first thing Was this clock! It has been out in the garage(turned play house) and always loved it... I picked this, along with an aluminum Christmas tree, and a Bed frame. Well before I could load these TREASURES into my moms car... she says (this infamous quote iv heard all my life) "WHAT IS A ____ YEAR OLD GONNA DO WITH THAT CRAP....NO PUT IT BACK..." Well 'mother knows best' and they were gone... BUT BELIEVE ME... I brought this up when I paid $80 for 4ft aluminum tree, when I once had a 6 ft FOR FREE! Good news: Iv found one just like this on Ebay, bad news its $90...and PLEASE DON'T READ THIS AND GO SNATCH IT AWAY FROM ME!!!!!!!

Theres a cheap plastic nock off... its only 14" tall... and its NOT gold...( The gold is a big thing to me!) I thought maybe I could get it and spray paint it gold... but its just not the same...



What do you guys think? Pay $90 and love it, or $20 and be sensible....

Also If you could have one vintage gift, what would it be?!

-Mick-

5 comments:

happileah said...

pay $20 & spray paint it? ;)

Maggi said...

If you don't have it right now, spray paint can work wonders. But if you have the money, do it right! lol I would love to have some full on atomic barware!

jamie@midcenturymania said...

Buy the one you want, the $90 one. Love it, cherish it, think of your Grandma and Great Grandma every time you look at it and it will be worth every penny spent. If I could have one vintage gift it would be a really full aluminum Christmas tree that had a color wheel.

Missouri Michael said...

How about splitting the difference and looking at something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gold-Atomic-Metal-24-D-SUNRAY-STARBURST-EAR-WALL-CLOCK_W0QQitemZ110390334723QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b3c6d503

or this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/George-Nelson-Gold-Starburst-Wall-Clock-Eames-Era-24-D_W0QQitemZ120420870355QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c09a4a8d3

just a couple of ideas for buying one that is new... not as expensive than the original, but better looking and a little pricier than the plastic one.

Of course, if you get the $20 one and spray paint it, you could replace the clock hands with something smaller and more appropriate as well

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Mick! I've been eye-balling starburst clocks on eBay for a whole year now.

There is one seller who sells knock-offs as real, and gets a lot of bids. Avoid that guy lol.

Here, check out this sellers knock-offs, (he doesn't try to fake us out lol):

http://myworld.ebay.com/modbarmus/

ID modbarmus if that link doesn't work. He's got a wonderful gold 2' starburst clock every week for $39 opening, $59 BIN. Sometimes they get bid up, but he's had them for a long time, so wait for a deal. Seen them end at $39 with no bids. I've got my eye on one of them myself, so will be snagging one soon! =D