Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Bowie Flea- Episode 4

(What a Haul!)
You might be wondering where episode three is?! Well March's trip was pretty uneventful, so here we are and April has a spring bounty!
I was SO happy to find this turquoise Pyrex Fridgie, I am sooooo close to completing my set. I am a good customer of the seller and she knocked it down from $17.00 to $10.00 for me! At the Casablanca we have a shelf that we keep the fridgie sets on, and I change them out with the season. I plan to put the turquoise out for my birth month of June.
(Looking kind of green here, but they are my FAVORITE!)
I am forever buying sheet music, I don't play piano, BUT I have high hopes that someday we'll recruit some one who does for the Casablanca! The selection entitled "The Witch" will be great to display for Halloween!
Patricia and I picked this up at the church basement ladies store in Bowie, they are so sweet and nice. this particular piece was imported from Italy, (or as the lady said "It-leigh"). We think its old, it has the feel and weight like some other potter we have from the 1920's.
Is it a sugar bowl? We plan to use it on a hors d'oeuvre tray that looks like a giant lettuce leaf for dips and things. 
One booth at our favorite antique store in Bowie The Red Barn had a 90% off sale! I came away with the McCoy ducks planter, for a pocket breaking $0.40 and the two Franciscan salt and pepper shakers in the "American Ivy" pattern for a whole $0.50. And we picked up a 1950's Parcheesi game for just pennies on the dollar.
(Two more very cool vases.)
The Church ladies thought that these were McCoy as well, and I have my doubts. They are really neat though and for $1.00 for the pair I wasn't about to argue with their Pottery ID. McCoy is JUST starting to catch on (again) down here. Everyone's seeing it on Pintrest and its gaining popularity.
We tried "The Bowie Diner" for the first time and it was DELICIOUS, will definitely be stopping in there more often. The mashed potatoes were excellent, the portions huge, the fried catfish was to die for, and the decor, well...

Hehe, it's rural Texas!

Until next month Bowie!

-Mick-



7 comments:

Paulette said...

Great finds and some great prices. Of course, I love the Pyrex but the sugar bowl is my favorite.

Sir Thrift-A-Lot said...

Great deal on the Pyrex! I am still working on building a full set of turquoise. Such a great colour!

Church ladies are always so lovely! I don't know why they don't price their stuff just a *little* bit higher. Sometimes I feel like I am robbing them!

Jim said...

I like the turquoise! Stands out from all the rest I find.
what a sale you found, Mick! 90% off!!
So McCoy is coming back into popularity, eh? Better dig mine out and put them up for sale locally.
You and Patricia would a 'field day, Mick, in my basement!

ThrifterSisters said...

Aqua refrigerator dishes are the best! So happy to see that you found one. They can be pretty elusive! You NEED to work on a pink set too. Yes, I'm aware that I am pushing Pyrex on you :-)

Erica

Vonlipi said...

I think the serving dish is more for jams and jellies than sugar.

I loved seeing your haul! Can't wait to hit a flea!

CherryPicked said...

Awesome finds Mick! Wouldn't it be great if a mint green fridge set really existed?!

Melissa said...

$10 for the fridgie is AMAZING!!! Horray for cool people!
And those vases are gorgeous. The McCoy thing is catching on here too. I saw one planter the other day with a $50 price tag on it! Out of control!