Monday, June 17, 2013

The View Between A Rock & A Hard Place...

I'm learning a lesson the hard way Readers...
This past weekend Patricia and I made a trip to Graham Texas (about an hour away) to pick up the single window for the bathroom. When I started this addition project I decied rather than buy brand new doors and windows I foolishly (in a romantic way) wanted the new part of the house to match the old. This meant, I would have to salvage bits and pieces to put together. Thus far its been mostly smooth sailing. The wooden french doors from Missouri are in, next came the eight foot window in the living room, we've found the back door that will be put in, and now i've purchased an old double hung window for the bathroom...it has seen better days.
The thing about the bathroom window is, when Larry framed it, we had planned to use two old windows and sash them and everything but life gets in the way. Well We had framed the hole in a wired size as a result it is a peculiar size, and it has been hard to locate a vintage wood framed window in the right size and FINALLY one popped up!  There is quite a melodramatic story about another buyer who turned out to be a nasty lady and banned both myself and the seller of this window from a Facebook group, but that's just a foot note.
When we arrived in Graham I was disappointed to discover that one of the glass window panes was broken, but before I could even point it out the seller gave me an additional window to use replacement panes out of free of charge!
Whoever caulked these windows last did a HORRIBLE Job...so I chiseled off all the old caulking and will re do it myself. In the process I broke another pane of glass. So I have decied to use the other bottom replacement window... but it too has a broken pane! AHHHHH!
But it would be easier to replace the glass in this spare and put it back in the original window. It also needs a new window sill built into the bottom of the framing. GOOD GRIEF! Any other normal person would just give up and buy a new smaller window and put it in, but I am a glutton for punishment! It's taking a little more work than I would have liked, but it will be worth it in the end!
I know it doesn't look like much now, but its going to be a perfect window! I just have to replace the glass and re-caulk it all, and figure out how to do the sill, and paint it white, then it will be ready for instillation.  Sounds like a lot of work I know, but to me its worth it!


Hope you all had great weekends!

-Mick-




 

5 comments:

Paulette said...

It will look lovely in your bathroom. You have a vision and dedication for your project, good for you.

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

All your hard work will pay off in the end when the project is finished and you have your beautiful, expanded Casablanca to enjoy.

MomWaldsPlace said...

These stories are so much more amusing when you are not the person doing the work. Just put on some tunes and keep at it!

ThrifterSisters said...

I agree with you Mick. You have to put in old stuff. Otherwise, your addition will stick out like a sore thumb.

What a fiasco with the window. The things we do for (vintage) love......

Erica

Terry said...

You should be careful when handling fragile object like the glasses on the window panes. They're breakable as they are dangerous and can cut your hand. So be careful next time you replace the glass.

#Terry@IntegrityAlaska.com