Saturday, May 14, 2011

Dear Prom...

Well readers, it's thatat time of year again, and I must say I am disgusted with my former High Schools theme choice this year... the class of 2011 will be sporting a "Rave Themed prom"... you know the kind usually associated with drugs, alcohol and ...other things...
Ummmm.... what the hell?  I mean seriously... lets take a look at the word "Prom".

Prom - "(Short for "Promenade") -A formal (black tie) dance, or gathering of high school students. It is typically held near the end of the senior year. It figures greatly in popular culture and is a major event among high school students."

NO where in there does it mention 'bumping', 'grinding','thrusting' handing out glow stick at the door, everyone mauling each other on the dance floor. When I heard what the theme was going to be I posted a Facebook status that said...

"Prom theme is "A Rave"... Seriously people? Look up the meaning of prom, the lack of formality isn't "cool" its tacky."
Now, I am very well aware not everyone lives in my technicolor, Big Band, actually knowing how to "Fox Trot" (and not thinking its the brother  syndrome to West Nile Virus) world and  I realize that all good honest dancing died (along with people wearing hats) in the same year with President Kennedy, but SERIOUSLY?!  I also realize that students pick this theme to reflect themselves and the times but, again REALLY?! The theme seems more fitting for an after the football game riot dance, than the all glorified PROM.
It's reasons such as these that make me meticulouisly plan and savor moments like this...
and this...
and this...
I give you "Better Prom" circa 2008. 

Better Prom -  Was the Casablanca's premiere event, well not premiere  but one of the defining moments. You see the Class of 2008's Prom theme was originally "A night under the stars"  our colors being navy blue, silver & black. Midyear the "prom sponsor" decided these colors were to close to the class of 2007's theme and took it upon herself  and changed the theme to "This moment with you"  colors being crimson red, hot orange & Gold (the entire class joked it was the prom form Hell!) So my high school theater friends and I, fed up with all the changes planned a better prom  to take place at the Casablanca after the real prom was over...

So, forced by our Mothers we went to real Prom.
(We Came)
(we saw)
 (we conquered...)
One of the high lights of my Prom  (and provably in the top 10 for High school) was when the DJ put "sing sing sing" on and everyone left the dance floor, I grabbed T.K.'s ( girl in the pink dress) hand  and said "Lets go!" and for three minuets we tore up the dance floor with the best swing moves we had! People stared, teachers clapped, and a few of our theater friends jumped in. That was provably the only reason I didn't completly HATE my Prom.

And Then we headed for the Casablanca!
We all arrived around 10:30P.M. and took that first group picture, I wish now we had stayed in our formal clothes. However we were all so tired of being dressed to the nines we gladly changed anyways and the party began.
(Our Cake )
I think we watched "I Am Legend" on the drive in that night, (notice the TV covered with a table cloth, that used to be the state-of-the-art sound system until we discovered that computer speakers work better!)  The next morning everyone got up and headed back to town, but before I did I took a few snap shots of the Casablanca and the car I went to prom in...
We borrowed that fire engine red Cadillac Convertible from a friend, It was just like the one in the movie "Flamingo Rising" that my Drive-In Movie Theater is based on!!!
So naturally I had to have pictures of this car in the Drive-in!
(The "wings' on either side of the Drive-In Screen wouldn't be added for another 3 months)
(Man how I wish the wings had been on the Drive-In that would have made this picture perfect!)

 As I said earlier, The lack of formality just makes me sad instead of a right of passage it now just seems like just another trashy school function. I know all Proms are somewhat tacky and pretentious but this just crosses the line I think.....
Anywho.

-Mick-

4 comments:

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

I didn't go to my prom either because it seemed stupid. No regrets not going.

One thing my Mom used to talk about was how much she enjoyed the formal dating and clubs back in the 40's and 50's. "Men dated!" she would tell me.

Now men were still men back then, but she said it was a wonderful time. And listening to the Big Band music was unlike anything else that came after it (and she liked rock music too as she grew older).

Mary said...

I didn't attend my prom. My boyfriend tried his best to talk me into to going. He was out of high school, but I just had no interest. .

I tried to talk my daughter into going to her prom. Mind you she went to a private christian school. Therefore no dancing. She didn't want any part of it. She did however attend a Fine Arts Center also. This was the first time she was with public school kids and she LOVED it.They had a Anti-Prom. She couldn't wait to attend. I don't remember the actual name but it was a lot of blood & zombies. Not the prom I think of when I hear "prom".

Jim said...

Proms seem to be just a formality anyway, always have been. But I loved going to formal dances and I do remember my high school prom very vividly! Had a ball and a very pretty girl as a date. Oh the memories.....Don't get too upset about what 'todays' kids are doing for their prom. It may be important to them to have what they want. Besides, you guys are definitely the reincarnated beatniks from the another era anyway! So who cares! lol

Missouri Michael said...

Well, I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I think that a Rave themed prom sounds like it might be fun!

I went to prom my Junior and Senior years. It was a lot of fun and hard work to help decorate the gym when I was a Junior. Our theme was, I believe, an evening in the park. We had a fake waterfall that ran down the bleachers into a fake pool on the gym floor. Park benches and little tables for two scattered around different areas in the gym... glad I only had to do that once in my life!