Sunday, May 30, 2010

Crunch Time and Those Old Piano Roll Blues...

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, as of tomorrow May 31, I have 20 days until 'As Time Goes By' and I'm left asking myself "What the HELL have I been doing since January?! Where has the time gone?! and WHY is it now in warp speed!"   Well anyways I have officially kicked it into high gear, and as promised here are some picture on the progress of the house, and some things from moms Birthday this weekend.
Turquoise room is almost done, just need to finish the curtains for that window, and find bed frames for the beds.  I was finishing up the touch ups in the kitchen to my now non-existent paint color from True Value, when I noticed something on top of one of the cabinets.   there about 3 inches of space between the tops and the ceiling, and way back near the wall was this covered in dust...
Now if you've been good little blog readers you will be just as surprised as I was because Robert (B. B.) Martin was the man who built my house in 1943. He must of been a swanky gentleman to have his very own monogrammed matches and as an extra treat all the matches are still in the pack, never been used!   While I was doing touch ups to the kitchen paint I keep fighting myself on the subject of re-painting the ceiling, it is its original 1943 green (which I'm sure is lead based)  and its only peeling in a few spots.  So in an effort to save the stuff, I took down the old molding form the stove pipe and this is what I found...
 When I touched the white board over the circle it moved! so I slid it aside and shot the flash light up into the "attic"  which id never looked at before. NOW mind you im standing on a kitchen chair stacked with books, with the fear that any second a raccoon was going to come hurling out of the hole wrap its self around my head and take me to the floor in a fight.
This is where the chimney stack once went out of the roof, id almost put my atomic fireplace in here, except for the fact its right in the middle of the kitchen.... (because in the 40's that was the  heat and cooking source).
Sigh, no treasures to be found in the attic...  I was wishfully hoping that  I would do like some other people here at the lake who found nearly $1000 in US war bonds  when they remodeled their cabinets. They had been hidden between the molding and the wall... but alas all that was up there was dust... Oh how wonderful it would have been to find a coffee can full of money up there...
I finally found a place for my rescued hanging lamp, I'm also hoping in the near future there will be a Spinet Piano under its illumination. Im hoping one will fit between the chairs if not the living room will be undergoing to arrangement.  I gotta say though, with that Moroccan mod hanging lamp and a piano its gonna look like its something right out of the movie Casablanca... cue Sam!

 (Note the hanging lamp above Sam's head)


*   *   *

My Mom Celebrated her 50th Birthday today with a blow out party I am calling "The As Time Goes By Pre-trial." 

-Mick-

5 comments:

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Ha ha I got the same line/lecture from my folks Christine!

Love the matchbook, I'd frame it. I have the ORIGINAL brochure for the housing tract my house was selling in from back in the day. Did you know they named all these housing tracts all these "romantic-sounding" names? Who'd have thunk it? lol... I bet I am the only person in my neighborhood to have it.

The place is shaping up really nice! Good job, I know (many of us know) how much hard work goes into it!

Zootsuitmama said...

Very funny - a racoon on your head..of course, Davy Crockett did it! Looking good-Zootsuitmama

Chickens in the Basement said...

Love your photo. Looks like the raccoon wasn't too mean to you! Very funny!

Holly Hall said...

That turquoise room is looking great!

Amber Von Felts said...

You crack me up. Those matches are an Archeological find. Does the Casablanca have a museum yet? Maybe you can find an old retail case that you can put little items in. I went to a Woolthworth's building that was restored and in the back they have a small museum. Then you'll need a gift shop too I guess!