Sunday, January 31, 2010

Just Call Me "Eagle Eye Mick"

Because dear followers, NOT ONLY do I hold the world record for 'Spotting vintage lawn furniature from a moving vehicle from 500 feet away' I also have a keen eye for movie and televison props!
(It some times drives my friends crazy)
You see being a Propsmaster for 3 years got me into this habit... when I watch a movie or tv show, not only am I watching the plot but my eyes are feircly hunting the sets for period things, things I own, things I want to own...lol! A perfect example of this occured last night while  season 3 of "The Andy Griffith Show".
This china hutch was my great grand mothers and is now my mothers, Its always been very speacial to her and mom calls it "Aunt Bea's china cabinet"  because it is very much like the one used on the show...

Here it is foremerly at the Casablanca, (it had to go when I bought the stove) It had been out there for four years, It was one of the first things I too to the Casablanca and had to beg my mom and sign my life away to do it! I hated to send it back to storage, but it was that or the console radio in the kitchen, and the radio won.



And here it is on the Andy Griffith Show....





But this is not the reason you can call me "Eagle Eye"  because Last night at 12:30 I was watching the episode "Opie and Andy, Housekeepers"  and when Aunt Bea goes to the fridge I NEARLY flipped out of my chair.... heres why...
See the fridge, with the triangle handle.... Im 99% Sure its a 1953 Norge Customatic that opens to the right.... and my dear followers do you know where else a 1953, Pink interior, Norge Customatic that opens to the right  resides?


Yup!  I was so excited I went running around the house to get my "Log books" of Movie sets and other things I said "OH MY GOD!" so many times my roomate came out of his room and said "WHAT IN THE HELL IS UP WITH YOU?!"  when I shouted "I THINK ANDY TAYLOR AND I HAVE THE SAME MODEL FRIDGE!!!" He said...(well I cant repeat what he said!)  So now I own Andy Taylors Fridge, Aunt Bea's China Hutch, and Lucy and Desi Ricardos toaster!

Haha dont forget to comment on the "Fabulos 50's" post to enter the give away!

-Mick-

17 comments:

happileah said...

so neat! I've never noticed before. But,now I'm going to be peeping set props too.

art deco dame said...

yeah someone else that notices set!I drive my friends crazy sometimes if Im watching a modern movie and its trying to be set in a different decade and the vintage is off,it drives me nuts so I have to drive everyone watching the movie nuts by commenting on it,haha

Chickens in the Basement said...

LOVE the fridge! Set design is so much fun. When I was still at SuzAnna's (an antique store I opened with a friend), we had a set designer who came once or twice a year looking for stuff for a movie he was working on. He bought fans, stools, and knobs that were on the set of Leatherheads. Rene Zelwieger and George Clooney might have put their behinds on my vintage stool! Now, I feel like I know them!
Anna

Vintageappliguy said...

MickeyI ove your blog it is awesome but if you look closely that fridge in the Taytlor's kitchen is NOT your Norge. If it were it would not be missing the chrome trim that goes from one side of the door to the other that yours has. Norge was not the only manufacturer to use a triangle shaped door handle of that kind. Philco and (Sears)Coldspot also had door handles similar to that in the mid to late 1950's. Anyway it is a moot point becasue in the early black and white episodes like the one where Aunt Bee buys a huge amount of bargain beef the fridge is clearly a model from the 1930's where in the later color episodes the fridge is a circa 1950 GE Spacemaker fridge with the tiny super freezer unit inside. I too am like you...I watch period movies and pick out all the things that are not correct to whatever period the movie takes place in and I too drive people crazy when I do that when they watch a movie with me LOL. I also have done some set dressing in local community theater as well... PAT COFFEY

Proper Prim said...

I just found your blog from Stan... The Vintage Find... I am so glad I did... you gave me a giggle today... I am addicted to B&W movies and I lose half of the story because I am so busy being nosy looking at everything in the background... It almost makes you feel like a Peeping Tom... LOL

I am off to read more...

Hugs, Deb

Mick said...

Pat, (guess my eagle eyes arent so good)thank you so much! But just the fact its a look alike (just like the china hutch) Makes me happy. Thanks For setting me Straight!

Retromodgirl said...

Oh my God, you are so awesome! I would have run around shouting too! Of course, my husband is used to it by now, LOL! I always notice movie and tv sets, I used to do props for community theater myself. I'm like Art Deco Dame, I drive my family crazy commenting on the costumes and sets of old movies on channels like TCM, too! And speaking of eagle eyes, did you notice that Aunt Bea's coffee carafe is Pyrex? And why does Andy in the one scene look like he's about to whoop Opie? Anyway, love your blog, your house, your collections, and your fabulous sense of humor!

Lucy said...

It's cool to see our own stuff on TV. On Ghost Whisper 'ers, she has a chandelier in her 'antique store' that we have in our bedroom! And yes, we always giggle when we see it!

Mick said...

RetroModGirl, haha thats a bad pciture I snapped! Andy is actually reaching for an apron and Opies in the way haha it does look like hes abotu to "Got to the Woodshed" as Andy would say!

Missouri Michael said...

Is that an old barrister bookcase that has been mounted to your kitchen wall for use as a cupboard?

Mick said...

Michael, Yes they are! When Mr. Martin built the house in 1943 The Brothers used every peice of the 2 prefab houses. And So the Bookcases became cabinets (and they are a pin in the butt, yhere to narrow to shut with dishes inside) But I cant bring myself to take them down and put up metal cabinets, its would be robbing the house of its character.

Cindy said...

You are too cute! hehe :)

The Elegant Thrifter said...

Fantastic! Watch out spying finds from a moving car. I've been know to pull a U-ey over four lanes of traffic for a garage sale. NOT a good example to follow.

Stan

The Elegant Thrifter said...

Fantastic! Watch out spying finds from a moving car. I've been know to pull a U-ey over four lanes of traffic for a garage sale. NOT a good example to follow.

Stan

Gwendolen Elaine said...

I completely understand...I went running through the house,excited,with 'jazz hands' even, to tell everyone when I realized that I have Lucy's percolator...Sadly, I got only blank stares from my family...I think my junk store enthusiasm is just too much for them...maybe they'll evolve...but, in the meantime...it's nice to know there are others like me...Your blog is so fun!fantastic refrigerator,btw.

Amber Von Felts said...

Hi Mick! I just discovered your blog and have been plowing through all of your past posts. I have been compelled to comment especially on this one though. I am forever seeing things in shows/movies that I own. It is such a cool feeling to pinpoint an object. I have one lamp in particular that pops up all the time! I heart your blog! Keep it up. :-)

Unknown said...

I have a Norge customatic refrigerator in my base ment in fairly good shape, except for some damage to the seals. I think it still works, can you guess at a good price

Max