Thursday, April 8, 2010

Well Im Sure Ray Eames Had His Set Backs Too...

You better hang on to your hats, this is gonna be a bumpy post!

Because of yesterdays unexpected event, I.E. the car crash, I didnt get to post this picture, its for Richard over at "The Bewildered Brit" , While most of the worlds peeps were attacking I found a few that were not,  I didnt take many pictures because I could tell they were busy.
(Peeps Last Supper)

Now that iv got that posted, I can move on to today's post!

I had to stay home and wait around for the insurance guy to call, (naturally he didn't) so I deiced to get crafty. I needed to make a record candy dish for Leah over at Storybook ranch, but the hard ware store was out of the bolts I needed and so I thought "I'll make her something one of a kind new and fresh...."  So I started with a record....
heated the oven and put the record in, then I used a good strong pair of scissors to cut the warm vinyl into strips.
I almost stopped here, I think it could be really cool wall art if you glued the pieces like that to a painted board.
Like maybe if  if you painted the board turquoise and threw gold sparkels while the paint was still wet then glued the record on top of it. Well of course I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I thought about what I could do with these pieces. 
I started weaving (which TRUST ME is trickier than you'd think)  I almost stopped here, if you put super or hot glue on the pices I think they'd make really cool wall hangings sort of  tiki inspired.
But I thought, "this is how we made baskets in scouts" so I kept going....
I thought to myself "Man im doing good!" because you could glue that together too and hang it up... but then i thought "wonder If i can make it into a bowl?" and that's where things went a rye...
I stuck the flat weave into the oven and got it warm, then used a ceramic bowl to give it the bowl shape.  However the top of the "basket" was a problem,  because the pieces were jagged and loose I tried wrapping the top layer with yarn, then I realized it was starting to look more like a crappy summer camp project rather than something you'd want to put on your coffee table with pride. So off came the yarn and I wrapped the top with some silver bailing wire.
However it STILL looks like something a kid would do at camp...  So stalled out and at a creative dead end, this one will fall into the "to be continued" list. Maybe the flat weaved record was better? Or the Tiki inspired one? Oh well im sure Ray and Chuck didn't design their legacy in a day, and neither shall I : )

-Mick-

8 comments:

Missouri Michael said...

Could you heat the ends that are sticking up and bend them over the top piece? Then you could lose the wire, at least in my mind you could...

You might go ahead and give the insurance company another call...say something like "I didn't hear from you, I was checking to make sure that things were coming along okay with my claim" or something of that sort. I've always made follow up contacts with insurance companies when I've had to make a claim, just to make sure things were getting done. Of course, when you live in a town of 4,500, you kind of know everyone...including the insurance guy.

Zootsuitmama said...

Hope today's going better, and it must be, because you're being crafty! No matter what the outcome, you'll learn something, AND, keeping busy is the best diversion...while waiting for someone to call. ZSM

Vonlipi said...

Oh Mick you made me laugh sooo hard! The summer project bowl with the yarn was a hoot!

The Peeps last supper was fun too!

Do you still sell candy bowls to raise monies for the CH&R?

Vintage Christine said...

That's the most hilarious example of sacrilege I've ever seen. The Peeps' Last Supper? OMG--CLASSIC! I just love you, Mick!!!!

happileah said...

I love the Peeps Last Supper.!

Chickens in the Basement said...

Peep Last Supper and record baskets. No those two really go together! I love creativity and you got it all over you!
Anna

Zootsuitmama said...

Don't forget everybody-Come to Zootsuitmama's blog and enter the Kitchen contest! All you gotta do is post a pix of your kitchen on your blog, let Zootsuitmama know about it by posting me a comment, and voila -youre entered! Zootsuitmama

Richard said...

Oh wow! What an awesome Peeps picture! I'm so glad you managed to find the few peaceable Peeps.

Very dangerous fellas, those Peeps! :)

Classic stuff!