Friday, April 23, 2010

"Pardon me, is that decimal in the right place?!"

Today were going to talk about art!
 I really admire the "Drip" style of Jackson Pollock's work. He's a pretty iconic artist from the 50's.  The Turquoise room had been posing a problem for me... and that's 'what to put on the walls'  I like what iv got going on right now. Its border line Mod, but still Mid-century Modest (as Pam Kruber calls is)
It all started with the new and coveted Sunburst clock. Its so big it had to go on that wall and if you put anything up near it it looks but this side of the room is fine! Its the "bed" side of the room that's causing trouble...
Iv needed some 'long skinny' art to hang above the beds. Thus far i'v had NO luck until I was down town Thursday. I stopped in this new "Indie vibe" (now remember the bookends story) Art gallery  and i saw these 2 skinny "drip" like paintings with black and gold splattered in them.  I go over, look at the price tag and see $3.00 for the pair... or I thought I did... when this guy appeared form the smoke filled back room I said i'll take these and he said "wow the $300.00 dollar set is finally going to be sold."  and I was in shock... and sure enough my $3.00 was $300.00 I apologized and left feeling "Meh"  and then it dawned on me... I CAN MAKE THOSE!
I rushed home, To show you my costs I have made the "Indie Materials List"  in blue and price list in red... I got some cardboard (from the new dishwasher box) (free) and masking tape and made 2 canvases 11" x 27" and spray painted the 'reclaimed courgette packing' as the Indies would call it ($100) With flat white spray paint...
 I then took some black patio paint and mixed it in a cup with a 1/4" brush then used my "Artistic Muse" ($100) loaded the brush and "slung/ dripped" paint over the canvas until I got my desired resultnd completed my "creative vision"  ($100) a...
If one of you out there in blog land would like a "Mickey Jordan original"  ($300), send $300 dollars in a self addressed envelope to....

Haha I 'think I'm going to drip gold on mine. I think they are good as is! I'll have pictures of them hung up later this weekend but for now, I am off the the Casablanca! Have a great weekend everyone! $300 my foot....

-Mick-

9 comments:

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Love Pollocks work, love the movie they made about him, and have done my own drip paintings!

Yours looks fantastic!

I will be making my own 1950's inspired artworks for my living room, I can't wait to get back to brush and canvas, I really miss it!

Unknown said...

I actually do those paintings Mick :)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Good for you and they look great!!!!

Vonlipi said...

Add some turquoise! Just a bit! I know you want to....:)

I love those crafty fixes for empty walls.

Tracy, I've seen your work and it is so deep and indicative of the turmoil that lurks beneath.

jamie@midcenturymania said...

You are one clever and talented guy...I mean arteest! Seriously, those look great! I agree, gold and turquoise spatters would be beautiful.

Zootsuitmama said...

That is so "something I would do". Guess we've been frequenting the thrift stores too long! But, hey-look what came of it! Original Mick's.
zootsuitmama

Amy said...

I have to say that I'm really digging that turquoise colour on the walls!

Maggi said...

Wowowowowow, both the vintage AND crafty sides of me love this post! lol Awesome drips!

Chickens in the Basement said...

Hi Mick! I think the artwork looks great! And, the black and white look great on that turquoise wall! Now, what are you going to put on those matresses?