Saturday, April 3, 2010

In A Frankoma Frenzy

Im gonna throw this out here, before Target, Walmart, the Today Show or some other retro trend designer says "this is whats 'IN'....

Frankoma... its the New frontier...
With the revival in Fiesta ware, Depression Glass, and various other dish types It seems that Frankoma has been the long forgotten step child of the dinner ware world. 

 My Grandmother (god bless her) turned me onto Frankoma dishes and sets. Its special to her, because the plates are made from Oklahoma Clay, at one time to have a set of Frankoma was a sing of great taste and wealth. She gave me her Frankoma dishes a few years ago, and I have started collecting and taking care of them so that someday I can give them to my kids... MAYBE... haha!

Heres what the site "Frankomaland" had to say about it...
Frankoma Pottery was founded by John Nathaniel Frank, who was born in Chicago on January 31, 1905. A university art teacher, he accepted a position at the University of Oklahoma's newly created Ceramic Art Department where he taught courses in ceramics from 1927 to 1936. Frank met Grace Lee Bowman on January 30, 1928, and they married the following September on the bride's twenty-third birthday. While Frank was still teaching, the couple purchased a small building in Norman, Oklahoma to house their new business, Frank Potteries, which later became Frankoma Potteries.
In 1933, John Frank met Joseph Taylor, who joined the University of Oklahoma Art Department. Taylor became a lifelong friend and eventually went on to design many of the early Frankoma Pottery sculptures.

Frankoma Pottery Flyer
Old Frankoma Packing Leaflet
In February, 1938, the Franks moved to Sapulpa, Oklahoma, and built their new plant on the legendary Route 66, just outside of town. This plant burned to the ground on November 10, 1938 destroying everything except for a few molds but, fortunately, Frank was able to raise funds to restart operations. The 1938 fire marks a significant point for Frankoma collectors. Pieces are often described as "pre 1938" or "post 1938".
Frankoma subsequently grew into a prosperous business. Frank was honored as Outstanding Businessman in America in 1971 and Marketing Man of the Year in 1972.
John Frank passed away in 1973, whereupon his youngest daughter Joniece took over operations. A second fire hit the plant in September, 1983. Despite the facility's total destruction, the irreplaceable molds survived because of John Frank's foresight in arranging for storage of the molds in a fireproof room. This time, the plant was quickly rebuilt and production restarted by July, 1984.
Frankoma continued production until December 31, 2004.
I use my frankoma for "Thanksmass" at the Casablanca.. however the its limited to 12 guests, because the plates are going for $8 a piece right now and I like everything to match!


What Sparks this post you might ask?  I saw a set of Frankoma candle holders in the "Dessert Sand" pattern in a local antique shop for $12.50 and I WILL be buying them! They are so cool, and the fact they match the pattern I own is great! However My favorite pattern of Frankoma and most saught after (of course...) is "Robins Egg Blue" its almost turquoise, and when you pair it with the black glaze around the edges its stunning.
Id Like a full set of THAT Please!

So tell me do any of you fine readers collect Frankoma?  Or  has my grand mother just talk,talk,talked it up  for her as well as my benefit?

Either way...

Go out and start collecting Frankoma! God Help you if you try and steal my candle holders.... :P

Just Kidding ... or am I?

-Mick-

12 comments:

Lucy said...

I don't think I've ever run across any of that in Ontario, but if I found any of that blue, I'd certain;y buy it too! Happy Easter!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Honey we know you aren't kidding about the candle holders! Go get em!! I love this and while I have seen it never at a thrifty price. Love the blue! I will keep you in mind if I run across any for cheap!

Missouri Michael said...

Hey Mick - I found those candle holders too, so I snatched them up before you could get them! Just kidding, but if you don't go get them, someone will do just that!

Holly Hall said...

I love my Frankhoma, but I just have bits and pieces in all colors. My favorite is the green.

Susie O said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

i hadn't heard of Frankoma before today. how funny. I read a post about someone's first ebay sale being a Frankoma piece with a different mark on the bottom. they thought it was a fake..turned out it was RARE! sold it for $400+!!! she was hooked on ebay after that.
Now I read your article...I'll definitely be on the lookout!

Chickens in the Basement said...

OOOOHHHHH! I haven't seen the robin's egg blue dishes before. I LIKE! I have a few Frankoma pieces in green and sand colors. I like them too and only learned about Frankoma a few years ago. I will be looking for that blue Frankoma now!

Thanks Mick and Happy Easter!
Anna

Zootsuitmama said...

I'll be on the lookout. I have a couple of pieces, one that has a crack, like a casserole, but they're green. I think you like dishes as much as I do. There are sooo many styles, and it's hard to just like one! That, and lamps!
Zootsuitmama

Amber Von Felts said...

Now that's a Blue Plate Special!

Vintage Christine said...

Hmm, I'm sure I have something around here that's Frankoma so will have to see what it is. If not, oh lord god, guess it might be the start of ANOTHER collection since I'm seriously in love with your stuff. Run back and get the candleholders since you know what happens when you wait--they've been there for YEARS but then you go back and they're SOLD!!!! Run Mick, run!

Ron McCoy said...

Mick, I live in Tulsa very near the Frankoma plant in Sapulpa. I wrote an article about Frankoma which you might enjoy:

http://collectingbuzz.com/articles/frankoma.html

Deanna Grissom said...

I live in Norman Oklahoma and went to a yard sale and found 3 pieces of Frank Potteries pieces. I just left the Jones Museum at OU and they are wanting me to get in touch with Jonice Franks regarding the 3 pieces. One is signed Joe Taylor and one says "First test piece of the Frank Potteries" and the other is a Puma with no markings but is also Ada clay according to the museum. Has anyone seen anything like this before?