Wednesday, April 14, 2010

April 14th, 1912

The Titanic strikes an iceberg causing it to sink the the Atlantic Ocean, killing 1500 of its 2200 passengers.  Lack of Life boats, Lack of rudder size, lack of blame, but a tragedy none the less... and it absolutely fascinated me as an 8 year old.

Seriously I cant find pictures but from 4 - 7 grade on April 14th I hosted "Titanic Parties" at my house! we'd order a cake with the ship floating or sinking and a select group of friends would just hang out and talk about it, look through all the picture books I had on the subject. as a party game, we'd strap on those crappy orange life jackets and slide backwards down the slide on the swing set screaming bloody murder as we plunged in the the frigged Atlantic Ocean that was my parents backyard.

As much fun as we had, it was always a serious event and we'd have a moment of silence for all those who lost their lives so long ago on the Ship of Dreams...

-Mick-

5 comments:

Zootsuitmama said...

Now I know why I think youre so special! I was the same kind of little kid. Like, when Bonnie and Clyde came out, I was obsessed with being Bonnie, or Faye Dunaway as Bonnie Parker. Anyway, it's a sign of great genius to be that kind of kid! I didn't realize the Titanic sunk on this date. ZSM

Vonlipi said...

Mick you are a very special guy. I would've loved to see you and your friends with the life jackets one sliding backwards on the slide in your parents yard.

It was such a tragedy.

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Very creative!

Love the movie Titanic, but James Cameron basically stole the idea from the 1950's version. ;)

Vintage Christine said...

Ha ha--little did you know that you were celebrating my very own birthday while you were paying homage to the Titanic. Did you also know that A. Lincoln was shot on April 14? He died the next day, however. You are hilarious, as always!

Amber Von Felts said...

I was obsessed with it too! Thanks to my Mom who got us started on it (and mummies and ghosts too). We had a Titanic board game that we would all play. The object was to get into the life boats before the whole boat went down...wonder if I could find a copy of that game now? LOL! Also, my Dad's mom was born in 1913 I always remembered that by it being a year after the Titanic sunk. Sounds like you had a blast as a kid too!